KCWC - Day 1

Monday, April 23, 2012

in
I put these dates in my phone, so I'd remember to carve out time to sew each day.  I've been looking forward to this week, and have a bunch of things cut out and ready to go.  That's not cheating, is it??!!

I started with a pattern I had downloaded - "Kate's Dress" by Lily Bird Studios.  I purchased it here:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheLilyBirdStudio#.

I had no idea how the sizing ran, so I made a size three for my tall-ish 2 year old - who will be 2.5 in about three weeks.  The dress went together without a hitch.  Although I've been sewing for a bazillion years, this was my first time with piping.  I put my zipper foot on my machine, and was pleased at how it came out.  I used the string that we use to tie up poultry inside the piping - no idea what other people do, but it worked just fine.  In retrospect, since I've never used piping before, I'm sure it would have come out better if I had used the other view included with the pattern, which has a much larger rounded yoke, with no corners to try to turn.

The sizing may be a bit on the small size, and I'm toying with the idea of either chopping if off and making a tunic to wear with leggings, or adding a ruffle and making it longer.  I think it's kind of a funky length right now.....
I do like the back now that I step back and look at it better, but as I was sewing it, I was thinking I may do a placket back if I try the pattern again.  I like it better since I'm happy with my buttons.  I'm kind of a button-perfectionist...

The sleeves are absolutely adorable to me, which is why I think a ruffle at the bottom may just make this the perfect, totally easy dress!
Fabric is from Riley Blake - purchased with absolutely no plan in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment