Sunday, August 12, 2012

Oooohhhh.....Nani Iro!

So, I've seen lots of garments, read lots of blogs, about Nani Iro double gauze fabric.  I've never sewed with it before.  I've got a couple of bolts of it (and more ordered) for my shop, so I think it's only fair that I give it a try to see what all the fuss is about.

Oh my goodness; this stuff is just wonderful.  It kind of reminds me of the softness of a high-quality knit as far as the hand, but sews like a woven.  I can definitely see a lot more garments made from this...to say nothing about the subtle designs in the Nani Iro fabric.  It's just beautiful.

I made a size 4 Oliver + S Bubble Dress.  The pattern was a long out-of-print, but now converted to a pdf for download.  People just raved about this pattern during the period it was out of print, so once it was available, I bought it immediately.  I didn't find a fabric that really called out "Bubble Dress" until this Nani Iro double gauze from the "Melody Sketch" line.

My daughter has an absolute full closet, so I decided on a size 4 thinking that it would be for next spring/summer.  The bodice fits really big now, but the length is actually good on my now 2 3/4 year old.  She's got a doctor's appointment this week, and I'm really interested to see where she fits in the height chart.....maybe a future basketball or volleyball player....unlike my other gymnast daughter!


I love this dress.  She liked it too.  I do believe it fit's into her "pretty dress" category.  We took a walk around our block, and stopped at our neighbor's wonderful flower garden.

This photo shows how much room is in the size 4, so it totally works as a dress with lots of growing room...

She really likes the style - pretty, yet still able to climb.....


I'm glad Oliver + S made all their older patterns available for download for those of us who got on the O+S train late!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really happy the way it turned out....and she likes it too!

      Delete
  2. It is a perfect dress and I love the fabric. I saw this post and thought I had to have the bubble dress. And I dislike digital patterns so I hunted and found a paper one. Your blog is bad for my pocketbook but has given me a lot to look forward to(:

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover