So, continuing on with the "Make It While It Fits" challenge, I decided to make a Tea Party dress for my daughter for her first day back to preschool. While I long for turtle neck jerseys, and wide wale corduroy pants with a blazer, it's not realistic around here as it's typically still really summer temperatures here for a very long time.
Going along with the ideas in the Oliver + S forums with people giving their thoughts on how to get their children to actually wear the clothes they make, I decided to let Julia select the fabric. Well, this is what she chose:
I made a 4T, thinking that she could wear it for maybe this month, then I would put it away for the spring. She's got room in it (she's still only 2) but the length works for right now just fine.
I love the pattern, but had a bit of a glitch when I was finishing the seam allowance between the bodice and the skirt, and my serger bit into the piping. I really need to go un-pick it and re-do it, because there's a little spot that's making me crazy where the piping is uneven.
I added covered buttons with the lime green in the fabric. I used to use covered buttons all the time - I should use them more, cause I really like the look.
So, back to school and back to work.