Blog Silence...

Monday, June 10, 2013

in
So I haven't blogged in a little bit, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been sewing. I'm working on a fall jacket, made from Japanese canvas lined with Polar fleece. It's currently sitting as a UFO, but I'm excited to get it finished. I've just got to figure out a buttonhole solution on the heavy jacket...

 I tested a pattern for The Cottage Mama The Daphne Wrap Dress. The testing process was something I'd never been a part of on this level - she put a call out for testers, then invited you to a private Facebook group. She had four patterns that she was releasing, and a group assigned to each pattern. My assigned pattern was last, so I got to watch the process unfold. The three patterns seemed to go seamlessly (no pun intended) but when she got to the pattern I was working on, there were some glitches. I submitted my photo, and the designer wasn't happy - not with my work way the way the pattern turned out.  She didn't like the yoke length, (which hit at Julia' belly) and promptly re-did the yoke.



.Take two - went together really quickly, as I'd already sewed one!





Apparently, this was more like what the designer had in mind - a shorter yoke length.  The second time, I made a size 4 with the 5 length....much better than take 1!

Fabric for both dresses are from my shop....the top is Anne Kelle's Girlfriend line....absolutely ADORABLE princesses....some with blond hair, some with dark hair, glasses, etc.  I just LOVE Anne Kelle's designs!   The second dress is made with fabric from Moda - Boho by Urban Chiks.  The fabric has a great hand to it, consistent with all the Moda fabric I've used so far. 

I did applique on the yoke of both dresses, and, my kid likes them!  Apparently, they are comfortable to wear, which is half the battle with a 3 year old.

I also made a little gift bag from the Anne Kelle Girlfriend princesses....my standard gift for preschool birthday parties...from the Oliver + S Little Things to Sew....

I put some pink jewelry, a pink princess t-shirt, and some girly sunglasses.  The gift was very well received by the recipient!

My next project will be my entry into the Flip This Pattern competition over at the Frances Suzanne Blog - if you haven't read their blog, you should - it's the sewing adventures of sisters who sew for their niece....they are amazing sewists, and are running a very fun competition....I'm up in July, so the rest of June will be getting ready!  I've got something cool, and VERY unexpected in store!!!

4 comments:

  1. So cute, Janice!
    I do love both your versions - the applique really makes a difference with the view A of this dress.
    It was really fun to be part of this tester group, wasn't it? I did lots of "pressure" sewing but it was really fun to watch the patterns unveiled and see all the lovely creations from the other testers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana Sofia! It was fun testing these patterns....I was amazed that Lindsay was so well organized with this...SO much work putting out patterns apparently!!

      Delete
  2. Both are adorable! I love the appliques on the bodice. Can't wait to see what you do with "Flip this Pattern".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! My Flip This Pattern outfit is really going to be kind of "out there"....certainly not like anything I've ever seen before!

      Delete