I'm making a concerted effort to:
- use up fabric that I've had for more years than I want to own up to,
- use my machine's embroidery features,
- take into consideration Julia's "style" and what she likes and wants to wear (regardless of my "style")
This one worked for all three:
I used the Oliver + S Class Picnic top pattern. I saw this modification on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/disdressed/6949853281/in/faves-janice4839/ made by the maker of the Oliver + S pattern, so I know it would totally work! It's simply elongating the torso, and adding a ruffle. Easy, except that she recommended that the ruffle should start halfway between the wearer's waist and hipbone - since I couldn't find either Julia's waist, nor hipbone, I kind of just punted! It actually came out kind of long, but she loves it:
Once a dress passes the spin test, and it has no tags to itch, and soft fabric, she might just wear it! Time will tell!
I used some variegated thread to make the snowflakes - I was very pleased the way they came out.
I'm just about to get started with some Christmas sewing.....I have lots on my list, including a baby gift for one of my co-workers....should be a fun month!