Scraps...

Sunday, February 9, 2014

in
I have a big tub of scraps under my sewing table.  Yesterday, my 19 year old son told me about a friend of his - another 19 year old - who, although he's kind of a hipster, he's cool.  (Quote from the son).  This 19 year old boy has apparently got himself a sewing machine, and is teaching himself to sew.  He's making backpacks.  So, my son left the house with a box of fabric to take to this kid and to get himself a custom made backpack. 

See, we sewing moms are cool!

While going through my scraps, I came across a pretty large piece of Happy Robots from Kokka by Nancy Wolff.  Her art is so cool - I loved this fabric right away.  The scrap in the scrap bucket deserved more than relegation to the bucket, so I made up this:


I used the Divided Basket pattern by Noodlehead.  I've got several versions of this basket in my "favorites" section in Flickr, but have never made the basket up.  Really, the trip to the fabric store to get the appropriate interfacing and fusible fleece took longer than making up the pattern.  I highly recommend it - it goes together beautifully.  There are a couple of spots where there was quite a bit of bulk (hence the tiny pleat in the front that I'm way too lazy to pick out) and I'm sure if I owned a walking foot that it would have been helpful. 

I see many, many more of these in my future.  What a great way to present a teacher's gift, a baby gift?  I'm keeping this for myself.  Julia is not happy about it, but tough!

6 comments:

  1. It's really cute and handy. What are the dimensions? I should make some of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is 12" wide across the front, 6" wide across the sides, and 8" high. And, it would be so easy to size up or size down....I was thinking about making a gigantic one for some of Julia's toys.

      Delete
  2. It's cute. Every time I see one of these I think I really should buy the pattern!
    If the hip kids are sewing now, does that mean the knitting in bars phase has passed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy it! I recall from one of your posts (hipsters taking your bikes....) how much you like hipsters!

      Delete
  3. I love the robots. I am meeting a new baby on Sunday and haven't made anything yet. Maybe this is a gift I could get finished in time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could easily make it in time - I really think it only took a couple of hours start to finish.

      Delete