Halloween 2014 - The Decision

Thursday, October 23, 2014

in
We put a lot of thought/discussion into Halloween costumes.  Maybe too much.

There's the whole philosophical discussion to be had - don't look like everyone else, be your own person.  Then there's the realistic - I can't make you into a spaceship that actually flies.  Then, of course, comes the part where I have to convince my kid not to be Elsa....

This year, Julia has been watching a lot more "educational" TV.  Well, educational plus episodes of The Brady Bunch.  So, she decided that she wanted to be Miss Frizzle from The Magic School Bus.  One good look at what Miss Frizzle wears and I was 100% on board.

Seriously, anyone who follows my sewing knows how much I love the Oliver + S Jump Rope Dress.  Isn't that exactly what The Frizz is wearing?



I added a circle skirt to the Jump Rope dress using pattern pieces from another pattern (Tinny Dress by Straightgrain).  The Jump Rope dress is a size 4, and the Tinny Dress pieces were a size 5.  I eyeballed the waist measurement of the bodice and lopped an inch off each side piece of the circle skirt; fit perfectly!  I will be definitely adding a circle skirt to the Jump Rope dress again....nothing makes my child happier than a circle skirt!

I toyed with the idea of printing the fabric on Spoonflower.  A good idea, but a bit expensive.  Then, my next idea was to make felt appliques of the various science stuff.  Seriously time consuming.  Freezer paper stencil?  Time consuming, and I'm not great at it.  Then, I remembered that I had bought some fabric transfer paper and had never used it.  Hmmmm.....

I used Avery 3271 Light Fabric Transfers.  I used a couple of old white t-shirts, and found some free clipart all over the internet for the various transfers; a beaker, a rocket, the sun, etc.  I sized all the pictures to be approximately in the 3-4" area so that I didn't have to applique teeny designs.  I applied the transfers to the t-shirt per the instructions, held my breath, and pulled off the paper - it worked PERFECTLY!  I was delighted.

I then used applique scissors to carefully cut out the fabric around the edge of the design.  Then, I used black thread and machine stitched all the designs onto the pattern pieces.  I have to admit, it took a while.  But, I did it over a few days, so it wasn't that painful.





To complete the outfit, I made her a trick-or-treat bag from a free pattern from Swoon Patterns - the Ethel Tote Bag.  I added a couple of inches to the width so it will be able to hold all the Halloween candy!  I used the same transfer technique to add the Magic School Bus graphic.


Halloween outfit complete - and one happy child!!

22 comments:

  1. I love those books!!! And she is the perfect Ms. Frizzle! And the tote! This is adorable, and does not look like a small amount of work, either. Could not love it more. It also fits in with this KCW theme too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inder! It was a bit of work, but since I spaced it out, it wasn't so bad. Plus, it's done way before Halloween!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely precious!!! I love seeing "educational costumes" / book inspired costumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys! I'm glad she watches the show too. Much better than some alternatives.

      Delete
  3. I love this! you did such a great job! My kids love the magic school bus, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so creative!. At first I thought it's fabric and I wonder where did you buy it! :). Your creation is amazing, I did some appliques too and yes for Magic School Bus, my children also love to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome costume! Comfortable and recognizable and someone who inspires creativity and thinking -- win,win,win! Does her school allow costumes at school, or is it only for the evening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her school has a little parade for Halloween - we're really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  6. I loved those books as a kid! That's a really fun Ms. Frizzle dress! Transfer paper and I don't get along well, but it looks like it worked beautifully for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so awesome - you totally nailed it! oliver + s has a pattern for everything, right?? great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail!! She knows what she wants to be next year too, and (unless she changes her mind) it will involve more O+S!

      Delete
  8. I love your halloween costumes! They're always clever and perfectly made. You're right the the Jump Rope dress with a circle skirt is an ideal combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You did a great job - and what an inspired idea for a costume!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She makes an excellent Miss Frizzle in the wonderful dress you made! I love her costume.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! You've created an interpretation of Miss Frizzle's lavender dress from THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS! Lots of appliqués. Lots of LOVE sewn into this costume for your daughter -- COOL photo shoot/modeling. She's sure to receive numerous compliments! THANKS for sharing. Sarah Helene in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing Janice! Love it - you've been doing some amazing sewing for your girl (just catching up on your posts.....)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't get over how awesome this dress is!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete